Saturday, October 29, 2011

Roberts Field, liberia

It is surprising the people I meet when I'm out flying with the Collings Foundation. Not only the veterans of World War II, but other individuals that I would not have expected to meet at all. About a week and a half ago, while in West Virginia, a gentleman came up to me and we were talking about the different aircraft or what have you and he happened to mention that his father had worked for Pan-American. Since I had worked for Pan-American also from 1966 until 1986. I mentioned that I had mentioned that to him. It turns out that his father had been a station agent for Pan-American at Roberts Field in Monrovia, Liberia in Africa.



The two of us were soon putting times and dates together and realized that we had been part of a very special and different part of Pan-Americans history. Roberts Field was a sort of hub for Pan-American operations in Africa. Flights originating in New York at John F. Kennedy Airport would go to and depending on the day, branch out to different parts of Africa. If say, you left on a Thursday from New York, you would stop in Roberts for one or two nights as a crew, and then proceed to Nairobi via Lagos, Nigeria. If you left on a Monday, you might go to Abidjan. Then to Roberts, and on to Johannesburg in South Africa. Coming back. You would stop in Roberts once again, it became a crew layover spot for all the African operations of Pan-American.


The hotel where all the crews stayed while in Liberia was the Roberts Field Hotel located just about 100 yards from the terminal. Crews would land at Roberts, and simply walk off the airplane through customs and immigration over to the hotel and could go right to their rooms. However, the Roberts field hotel was a Mecca for all the Europeans whites or otherwise educated Africans to congregate. A meeting place of international ideas and international people. In a country that lacked everything of normal everyday life. Roberts field hotel had it all in one place.


There were a number of companies, that had Caucasian/European employees based there in Monrovia. A large pharmaceutical company had a facility for raising chimpanzees used in their testing. One of the world's largest tire companies had huge rubber plantations nearby as well. These same employees would show up at the hotel bar/restaurant in time to meet the arriving crews from New York or arriving from other parts of Africa.   At the same time, outbound crews would be eating a dinner before departing to other points on the African continent or back to New York and Europe. Therefore there was a constant coming and going at the hotel. And one of the best attributes of the hotel was the food, which was not only very well done, but safe to eat. The hotel's decor for was not elegant, but basic and more importantly clean. The food staff at the hotel always seem to do their best to put out the best menu and serve it almost eloquently when compared to the rest of Africa.


The hotel was not located in the midst of Monrovia as one would think as the international airport was a good one hour drive from the capital city of Monrovia. The entrance to the hotel was only 100 yards from the arrival gates of the airport and after a long flight. Just walking that hundred yards to the entrance of the hotel was the first chance a crew would have after spending hours and hours on long-range flight would have a chance to really stretch their legs and appreciate the anticipation of having a beer and maybe a hamburger before hitting the sack in their hotel room. Also, the crew that was departing only had to walk 100 yards to an airplane that would be ready to go into the far reaches of Africa or back to New York.


One of the rooms at the hotel was set a side strictly for the crews use. It was no different than the other rooms at the hotel except it had no beds, but had extra chairs, a large coffee table, plus two refrigerators. These refrigerators would be use by the stewardesses to store cheese, caviar, breads, fruits, and other stuff that were leftovers from the flight. The "crew room" was an exclusive place for the crews. Seldom, were outsiders invited there. "Crew parties" were a constant happening, and almost nonstop, considering the comings and goings of crews through the station. The decor of the room reflected the personalities of Pan Am crews. In particular the personalities of the crews that flew the African routes. The walls were festooned with wine bottle labels. Cartoons, a few of sexual nature, but most dealing with crew views of company policies. My favorite one, showed a group of mushrooms growing on a pile. The caption read "Management must think we are a bunch of mushrooms. They keep us in the dark and feed us a bunch of shit". But properly, the most significant piece of "artwork" that festooned the walls of the room was the body pressing. A little history here. At that point in Pan Am's history. Flight attendants were not supposed to be married and they had to quit their jobs when they did. One such lady was about to leave the company to get married, and on her last trip with Pan-American there was a crew party in the crew room. It must have been a great party. For the crew was able to convince the young lady to undress, and they poured red wine all over her body. And then they made fore and aft pressings against the wall all around the room. This young lady was well endowed and the pressings showed that perfectly.


As I said above, the Pan Am crews that flew the Africa roots had a personality far different from the normal Pan Am pilots and stewardesses. First you must realize that Africa was not the most comfortable, nor the easiest of routes to fly in the world. Air-traffic control was nonexistent. Weather reports and forecasts were guesses at best. Communications in any form was pathetically nonexistent. Layover facilities and airports were often unsanitary and crude. There was always a danger of catching malaria or ingesting some other weird and malignant bug that Africa can only seem to make up. And since medical facilities were as close as the moon, chances of survival with a serious bug were almost nil. It was not a popular place for Pan Am crews. As a result, the ones who did fly there, had an adventurous personality, cast-iron stomachs, and somewhat masochistic to begin with. They tended to be more self-reliant, more curious of human nature, and willing to be a team player in an area of the world where such cooperation would mean survival.


As a result of the above, it turns out that a small group of personalities continually flew these routes. The stewardesses earned the nickname after the movie, "African Queens" and for the pilots of course, earned the nickname of "African Kings". Often that moniker stuck to a pilot or stewardess, just like a name tag. Often, you would hear someone refer to a stewardess as "Mary York?. She is a Queen out of Kennedy." The same happened to the pilots, where they were often referred to as a "King". Sort of like saying he has red hair. This was a phenomenon particular to the New York Kennedy-based flight crews since all the Africa trips originated from New York. Since I flew African trips, almost exclusively for a three year period, I most likely have this tag stuck to me too. Although no one ever called me a "King" directly to my face, it was not a derogatory handle at all and it was something I wore with a certain amount of pride. Flying African routes was much more difficult and required a higher degree of professionalism than flying any other route in the world. More skill and understanding of the elements that made up Africa was essential.


The captains, flight engineers and stewardesses I've flew with during that period, well, they are stories that would fill a book or two. Some of the captains would be legendary. One who was one of my favorite captains was Roger M. He stood right at 6 feet high. Weighting at most 170 pounds. Dark wavy hair, slightly gray at the temples, deep set eyes and a prominent chin. His eyes look like they were always squinting into the sun, and he reminded me of an indian looking for some unexpected element that nature was about to pull on him. Before World War II, he had been a student at the University of Cairo in Egypt. Just before the war broke out, Roger set out on a bicycle trip from Cairo to England. The bicycle was nothing special. It had a single speed yet he would make up to 100 miles a day, at times. His trick, was a short piece of rope that he would loop on the back of trucks, that would then pull him along, particularly up the long inclines of the Alps. He told me that one day on this trip he ran into a bunch of Hitler Youth in a group. They couldn't believe that Roger had come so far on that lousy bicycle. They thought he was some kind of superhuman. He said he let them believe that and never told them about his rope trick.

I learned a lot from Roger on how to be a captain in command, and also how to read the skies of Africa. I swear the man could have drank water from a puddle in Africa, and not got sick because he had been there so long.


The "Queens" were a class unto themselves. There were few American women amongst them, most being either Europeans and Scandinavians. All would have called them selves liberated , that is for sure, even by today's standards. They were no more sexually promiscuous than any other group as far as I could see. But I also learned that just because a lady goes topless at the beach doesn't mean she is an easy or on the make. But of all the flight attendants and stewardesses I've ever had dealt with in my career, as a group, they looked after the pilots and stayed close by more than any other.


Not all of the African Queens were happy. Some had real problems and drinking being the worst. One middle-aged redhead named Vivian had her problems. She had been dating one of the captains, a married man, and their plan was that he would get a divorce and she would marry him. It did not happen. He died of a heart attack long before any of that happen and Vivian became an alcoholic. One day I'm sitting in my room at the hotel I hear that the pitter patter of bare feet coming down the hall. That particular day, the hotel had lost all local power and was without air-conditioning. So I had the sliding doors to the patio open and the room door to the hallway opened, in order to get a breeze through. I was basically just sitting there reading. Soon Vivian appeared in my doorway, stark naked as the day she was born. In one hand in her fingers she had a cigarette and in the other hand, she had a bottle of Jack Daniels. She let it be known in no uncertain terms that she was ready for a role in the hay. Quite frankly, I was never interested. Vivian had problems and messing with her would only cause me a whole lot more. I was not interested and let that be known to her, at which point she called me all kinds of names, turned around and went back down the hall still looking for someone else.


That kind of thing was really rare although I'm certain such affairs happened now and then. Most of the long layover that I had at Roberts were spent at Caesars Beach about a 45 minute drive from the hotel. There I and other crew members would do a lot of reading and or playing Liberian dice. A game, I still play to this day. Most of the stewardesses would go topless while there, and after a while I became used to seeing all kinds of shapes, sizes and colors that such displays became a non-issue nor exciting to me. I often took my sketchpad, as at that time in my life I was doing a lot of drawing and sketch the ladies, beach scenes and house boys or whatever caught my fancy. A lot of this stuff was done by pencil on newsprint. And I either gave it away or just threw away.


Food, not only the preparation of it but the safety of it was always an important factor at Roberts Field. Safe local food suppliers were almost nonexistent. We were able to supplement our meat supplies through Nairobi. The normal flight schedule had flights going to Nairobi, about three times a week. In Nairobi, crews would purchase a side of beef or other exotic African game meat and bring it back to Roberts Field. The hotel restaurant would often have special barbecues just for the Pan Am crews, using that meat. Thompson gazelle was my personal favorite.


One of the real dangers was sunburn. It did not take very long to really get a good tan or get a really bad burn. I once found that I had been out in the sun too long one day and had a really nasty sunburn on my back. There was no medication to kill the pain. I remembered the crew had once talked about teabags and the tunic acid in tea as a pain killer for sunburn. Desperate for relief, I went to the hotel kitchen, and grabbed a handful of teabags. Back in my room I put the teabags in the room sink and soaked a towel in the water and tea bags. I then put this towel over my back and was pleased to find relief almost instantly from the searing pain.


Another malady that struck crews quite often was food poisoning. Diarrhea and dehydration being the biggest factors to deal with. Old Africa Corps hands would have a small supply of different pills. Lomotil was very effective for most ailments. Pan-American also supplied quinine to the crews to prevent us from catching malaria. This particular pill had a very rancid taste. Also, the employee clinic at Kennedy was very good about keeping flight crews up to date on the inoculations. The one I hated the most was for cholera, which needed to be taken every six months. After the shot I always came down with a short three day bout of cholera. There is a little story I like to tell about that evil tasting malaria pill. Because of a change in the flying scheduled in the Pacific at the time, a number of flight engineers from the West Coast were transferred to Kennedy. These flight engineers were unfamiliar with policies and procedures of flying to Africa. At the start of each trip, Pan-American would provide a pill package for the crew that contained these quinine pills. These packages were issued to the flight engineer when he checked in. His job was to distribute them to the rest of the crew. On one particular flight, a West Coast engineer asked what he was supposed to do with these pill packages. I piped up with the procedure that he was supposed to distribute them to the rest of the crew. Then, I told him that what was not in the instructions was that one needed to chew the pill because it had a coding that did not dissolve easily. This of course was not true. I could see the captain, across from me, biting his tongue realizing that I was setting up the flight engineer. Later in the flight, both the captain and I were gratified to hear the coughing and wretched gagging from the unsuspecting flight engineer. Welcome to Africa and the corpse.


Not many people can say they have seen all the sites of Africa. I have flown through the middle of the Sahara desert. For over 950 miles I saw nothing but sand, from horizon to horizon. There was no navigational radios, nor anyone to talk to. I have seen the city of Timbuktu and crossed the Nile. Seen the snows on Kilimanjaro and marveled at the mists from Victoria falls. I've flown over the desolation of the Skeleton Coast and the Kalahari desert. I peered down at the deep green mystery that is the Congo. I have walked the streets of Dakar, Nairobi, Lagos, Monrovia, Keno, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Mozambique and Libreville. I have watched cheetah, stalking, Thompson gazelle, hippopotamus and crocodiles dominating a stream in Kenya. Shared a view with a baboon from the roof of the Treetops Hotel in Kenya are. Africa for all its beauty was a daunting and dominating place.


In the years that I flew into Roberts Field before Sgt. Doe's military coup. I never felt unsafe around the locals. They were nice to me that I was nice to them. I was very aware of the fact that I was the minority there. And whether it was out of fear or respect I try to respect each one of the locals that I met there. It was only after the military coup of Sgt. Doe, that Liberia went downhill. It became unsafe and very uncomfortable to be around those who are now in charge. One night while walking to the hotel after arriving on a flight I was made to salute the Liberian flag by a drunken guard with a M 14 rifle pointed at me. Most likely, the rifle was not loaded, but the intent was there. I saluted their damn flag, and that was my last trip to Roberts Field.


But back to the gentleman I met whose father had been an agent at Roberts Field in the 60s. His twin brother had been back to Roberts Field just two years ago and while there he took some pictures of the Roberts Field hotel as it stands today. For me looking at the pictures brings back memories of good friends, good times, and adventure. But at the same time, I feel a real sadness. For the savageness that is part of Africa has claimed that small part of civilization that held on at the edge of the vast jungles of that continent. Not unlike the great predators of the Serengeti Plain, Africa devours everything. And like the pictures of a lost hotel, so are gone the “Kings”, “Queens”, “Africa Corps” and Pan Am.


The Roberts Field Airport Terminal.
I understand the terminal look much the same as it did in the 60s & 70s.
This is the front entrance to the hotel, just a short walk from the airport terminal.   Because of snakes, we never walked in the grass, specially at night.



The east wing of the front of the hotel on the left and the “back rooms on the river” to the right.

This is what is left of the bar. At one time the whole white wall behind the bar was shelved with different liquors. The bar tender could make any drink you could think of.

The hotel pool and cabanas. Here is where all the BBQs were done.  Behind the palms on the left was the Farmington River which was a source of cobras swimming from the jungle on the other side.





This is what is left of the high school. So much for the objectiveness of tribal self determination.

28 comments:

  1. I have been managing the Robertsfield Hotel between 1973 and 1976. I enjoyed your reading your story. There are indeed a lot of other stories to be aded.
    And I had a lot of Pan Am Friends. Fact is, I got married to a Stewardess I meet in Robertsfield. Was was the Station Managers name? Like to hear more from you,
    chminter@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a Captain with Farrell Lines transporting rubber from Harbel to Monrovia. The hotel was new when I stayed there in 1955. The Station Manager's name in the late 50's was Eric Reeves. He was from Surrey, and after getting married moved to Long Island. Pan American flight crews frequently came to my ship for pizza parties and fun times. We also got together at the Pan Am Club overlooking the river. Much of what happened at Roberts Field and Harbel will be in my upcoming book "Seawater Two" following the publication of "Seawater One" with Amazon.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Mr. Eric Eitner you are somehow confused with the dates you managed Roberts Field!!!
      You only arrived in late december 95 and not, repeat NOT in 93!

      Delete
    3. Sorry about Mr. Eric Eitner and the Robby Field Hotel.
      The Dates should read from 12/95 and not 1973

      Delete
    4. The correct date was that you arrived only in december 1975 and NOT 1973

      Delete
  2. A very interesting post. I spent a lot of time at the Robertsfield Hotel in the 1980s and got to know quite a few of the Pan Am crews. What a great bunch of people! I would like to hear more.
    safaris@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Goolsby,
    Do you think Robertsfield can be developed into a regional hub in this modern day? I am part of US Consortium seeking the approval of the Government of Liberia to develop the Roberts International Airport into a Modern facility from runway to passenger and cargo terminals, aircraft maintenance facilities, etc.
    CL Gray
    Houston, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Roberts Field can't be developed into anything.....Ebola has taken care of that and even before that The Government of Liberia and every other African Nation can't seem to take care of themselves or their people or develop anything; infrastructure, schools, health care, well you name it ,anything....their leadership is corrupt and they don't give a damn about their own people..Period. End of Story! And that has been the story for 100's of years! So, the nightmare in Africa will continue until the place is unfit for man or beast! Consider how many billions of $'s has already been poured into Africa by Humanitarian organizations and the US!! Nothing has changed..only gotten worse!

      Sorry
      A former Pan Am Flight attendant ( 1970's) who flew on numerous occasions to Liberia and has fond memories of the place and the few natives I met!

      Delete
  4. Oh the adventure I had as a junior Pan Am stew called from reserve on my first trip to Roberts Field in 1975. And the wonderful stories I was told by my very senior crew. Thank you for this terrific blog and the photos. Sad as they are to look at today I am so appreciative as I couldn't afford a camera back in those days.
    natleek@mindspring.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started flying for Pan Am in 1980 and managed to get quite a few ROB trips over the next 9 years. Always loved it there even though the hotel had its downside. I remember sitting under a palapa type roof at the beach restaurant with a bunch of other crew and drinking bloody mary's in the rain, playing the dice game and sharing stories while the loudspeaker played "The Rains Down in Africa" by Toto. It was surreal. Thanks for the stories and the photos - sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so very much for this fascinating post! I was a Stewardess and a Purser from 1963 to 1969, and flew there many times. You have shared your recollections in such a wonderfully colorful and very personal way. I would like very much to know what year these photos were taken. Late seventies? The place I remember was truly utilitarian, but not deteriorated. Debbi is right. Sad to see. Joan Wunneke Wiegand

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post which brought back many happy memories. I was a stewardess with British Caledonian from 79-84 and flew to Africa many times. Does anyone remember the Lebanese hairdresser at the hotel? And the gorgeous beach with fantastic waves - and sunburnt eyelids! And the barracuda BBQ's? I loved the hotel, sad to see it battered. Liz Baker (Lucas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, I remember partying long into the night on one particular occasion with a British Caledonian crew! I was probably 1982-84. Maybe we met! You were crazy fun!!

      Delete
    2. What a great blog, really, although it hurts to see the pictures of the buildings.
      Brings back a lot of childhood memories. I was born in Robertsfield. My memories are from 1970 till about 1982. I remember the partys at my father´s house. I´m sure a lot of PANAM crew members remember Aldo. He worked at firestone. My mother Ingrid was a stewardess before she became mother.
      And of course I remember the hotel, the pool and the beaches Ceasar´s and Snafu. I used to get a sunburn on my scalp, when I visited on vacation.
      Liz, I remember the lebanese hair dresser in the hotel. His name was Abdullah. OMG –was he scissor-happy!! I had long straight hair to my butt, when I was little. So I had to stand on the chair, so he could reach the ends of my hair. He always cut back and forth, back and forth again and again till there was quite a bit missing, always to my regret.
      Sonja Hölzl

      Delete
    3. Hallo young lady and / or Sonja. Only found this story about Robby Field a few day's ago and couldn't believe it! I do remember you vaguely as a toddler whenever you came to the Hotel with your mom whom I know quite well and, naturally your dad. F.y.info I was the G.M of the Hotel from late 73 till 12/31.75. There are three definate souvenirs since firstly your dad took the time to teach me the game of tennis, secondly, he sold me two ivory tasks which I still have and thirdly the famous " Hoelzl " map of Africa made out of bush money.
      This map still decorates part of one wall of my apartment in France!
      Whilst located in Abidjan and Libreville after my stunt to Robertsfield
      I contacted your dad a few times to ship me a few more map's which I presented to various, mostly african V.I.P.s amongst them the Prime Minister of Gabon on his birthday.
      What a small world!
      Wishing you all the very best, sincerely
      Werner Zander

      Delete
    4. Hallo Sonja, have to come back to you to apologize for part of the above: I remember you vaguely as a " toddler and young girl with long hair " ! Sorry for it! Kind regards W.Z.

      Delete
  8. Great Post. Thank you. I worked for KLM at Roberts 1978-80 and loved my time there.
    I parked my boat at the Robertsfield Hotel pier. Many friends Pan Am Swissair and British Caledonian.
    By the way the great bartender at the Robertsfield Hotel Bar was called Waldo.
    Albert Janssen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff. I was British Caledonian Station Manager for most of 1973 - room 110! Great memories and many stories most of which are better kept to myself! Bill Puckhabre (spelling?) was the Pan Am guy when I was there. Played a lot of golf at Firestone as well as rugby when I captained the national side against Sierra Leone! I Was later transferred to Bahrain then Singapore but made redundant the following year. I returned to MLW two years on a management contract with BCAL to manage Air Liberia - bit of a joke that but good fun. My daughter was born in Monrovia at the now famous, for all the wrong reasons, ELWA hospital

      Now living in Oz having just completed 50 years in aviation - BR, SQ, EK and currently QR - bin lucky man!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the memories you outlined at ROB. I too spent a lot of time at the ROB Hotel between 1965 to 1976 when visiting Liberia on business. I use to go to Liberia every 3 months for a week at a time and would usually spend the evening that I arrived on the Pan Am flight at the ROB Hotel and Bar and then leave the next morning on the Rail Bus to Mt. Nimba. On the evening before I would leave, I would stay at the ROB Hotel and I remember well the Parties that I attended at both the Pan Am Crew Room at the ROB Hotel as well as the Pool Parties at the Hotel. Those were great times. I knew most of the Pan Am Cockpit and Cabin Crews that flew the African Routes during the Winter Months out of New York. Also, there were many times on the Pan Am evening flights that I spent playing cards with the Stews at the crew table on the old 707's. Those were also the good old days. then in the early 70's Pan Am started flying 747 on the African Routes and times were still great except there were more Pan Am crews staying at the ROB Hotel.
    On one of my first trips to Liberia in 1965 I met John McGhee who was the Pan Am G.M. in Liberia and we became very good friends even to this day. John worked at Pan Am until the very end. He worked in Munich, Frankfurt, London, Sydney and ended up in New York as a Sr. V.P. with Pan Am. Jogn really helped me out on several of my business trips on Pan Am in Europe, Middle East and Asia that I am forever grateful. On several occasions when I arrived at ROB in the evening John would be on the Tarmac waiting for me as I got off the plane as I only had carry on luggage even back then. John would have a Liberian Immigration Officer with him and he would stamp my Passport and off we went either to the ROB Hotel Bar or the Ducor Hotel in Monrovia. The next morning I would leave on the Rail Bus to Mt. Nimba and the last evening I was in Liberia I would stay at the ROB Hotel. Another gentleman I met through John was John Varley who was the Sales Manager for Pan Am and John and his wife Carol who worked for KLM in Liberia and the McGhee's would go out and party.
    Liberia was a very safe place then and William Tubman was a great President.
    John Varley was eventually transferred to London and to this day we see John and Carol in the U.K. from time to time.
    Jim, you brought back a lot of memories about ROB and I could probably write a book about the many Pan Am Employees that stayed at the ROB Hotel and their experiences. Thanks for relating your experiences.
    Tim Carnell, July 18, 2014. Dallas, Tx. Tacarnell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a Pan Am stewardess 1968-1989. Had many layovers at Roberts Field Hotel. And, sometimes we would stay instead at Caesar's Beach. (Remember that?) Rarely, we would also go into Monrovia on layovers. I recall the always-lively bar at Roberts Field Hotel and the (Swiss, I think?) chef there who managed to produce some amazing dinners with very limited resources. (My favorite was the Shrimp Pernod.) I also recall the five-day layovers sitting out by the Roberts Field Hotel pool (or on the beach at Caesar's). Of course, it's impossible not to recall the other hotel "amenities," including in-room spiders, snakes, and too-often power and water outages. But, it was all part of the Roberts Field ambience! And, we still had great fun on those layovers! (Message posted by Cheryl)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I flew as a Flight Attendant (NOT as a 'stew") for Pan Am from 1968 through 1982. I had only one flight to Robertfield during my career by choice (I had heard all the Queen stories and had no desire to become one, topless was not within my comfort zone!) That trip however turned out to be one of the most memorable trips of my entire flying career. Since I refused to join my topless crew on the beach and sat by myself reading a great book, I was approached by a very youthful, fit, and handsome group of men! They asked if I would join them for lunch and I did. They were US Military there to train Monrovian troops. After a lengthy lunch I asked why they chose to invite me to eat with them...with so many half naked females from my flight on the beach to choose from. They answered that that was precisely why they approached me, simply because I was the only Pan Am F/A wearing her entire bathing suit! I knew they were really, really nice guys at that point and I made plans to have dinner with them that night, go swimming with one the next day and shopping with him the following day. That fellow brought me a lovely necklace and ran onto the plane just before we departed to put it on my neck along with a sweet kiss, that I remember to this day (I am now 70 years old!) Roberts Field: party place, not for me but that trip was a memory that will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jim, did you know Bob Meyer, F/O with Pan Am, United Captain? I was married to him for a short time back in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful information. Working for USG, my family and I flew into Roberts Field in Feb 1979, and I flew in and out of Roberts many times till we left permanently in April of 1981. I am writing a paper for the periodically that my organization has, and I am wondering if anyone here has info regarding when and why the runway was originally laid out to 11000 feet. Thanks. Reply to proudmomx4@gmail.com, and many thanks for your time in reply.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My family and I were good friends with a Pan Am pilot called Fred Hay in the late 1970’s. He used to fly into Robertsfield then usually on to Nairobi. He was from Rye, NEw Hampshire. Do you have any info on him?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. I wonder if you happen to have any pictures from the Roberts Field Hotel before it was destroyed?
    Regards from Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for one of the above comments about managing the Hotel from 1973 to 1976. During that time it was a certain Mr. Zander running the show from November 73 till the end of 75 who went on to the Hotel Ivoire in Abidjan and in 1978 to the Okoume-Palace Inter*Continental in Libreville, Gabon Just a correction!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Pan Am station Manager during those year's was a certain Bill Puckhaber

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello and how interesting, thank you for creating this blog. I was a stewardess for PAA from 1964-1972 based in NY so no doubt we flew together. There was a river at the edge of the Guest House grounds and a few others and myself hired a boater to take us to the other side which was essentially a jungle. I can clearly see in my memory the most amazing tall and busy anthill near a trail we walked down and our friendly guide warned us about. (The plantation of rubber trees was elsewhere and as you suggested some helpful employees took us there as well.) So memories of days in Robertsfield are redolent with geography/land use lessons, refreshing rest, good food, camaraderie, gin, and some of the best piloting in my experience- getting us in with those torrential rains.

    ReplyDelete